San Diego's Mobile Audio/Video DJ

Mobile DJ FAQ

Sample Contract

Do you have liability insurance? - I do carry a policy covering up to $1,000,000 during your event, as long as we have a signed event contract. Some venues require proof-of-insurance for an event. If yours does, just ask and I'll be happy to provide a copy.

**Even if you do not hire me, be sure that your DJ has the proper insurance. An accident at your event could put you or your organization in bad spot financially.

Are you and your music appropriately licensed by ASCAP, BMI, SESAC, and RIAA? - In the United States, mobile DJs are NOT required to obtain licenses from ASCAP, BMI, or SESAC. These organizations instead license the venues where we play (hotels, bars, restaurants, etc.) Mobile DJs are NOT required to obtain licenses to play prerecorded music at private events, such as weddings or private (not-for-profit) parties.

If the event will charge admission, then the event holder or venue is required to pay the fees appropriate for their venue.

Mobile DJs ARE required to purchase properly licensed music. That means we must use purchased commercially-available CDs, or DJ service-provided music. DJs caught using illegally acquired music is subject to huge fines.

  • ASCAP - American Society of Composers, Authors, and Publishers
  • BMI - Broadcast Music Incorporated
  • SESAC - Formerly Society of European Stage Authors & Composers, now just SESAC
  • RIAA - Recording Industry Association of America

Will you take requests from our guests? - My normal policy is to accept requests from your guests during the course of the event. I will then play them in the segments appropriate to that song. I find that playing the guests' requests improves audience interaction.

If you don't want me to accept requests, just let me know.

Will you play music from my own CD collection? - Though I have an extensive music collection, I realize that there may be songs that your group would like to hear that I don't have. If you'll let me know in advance, I will procure the music that you'd like me to play.

If, after the event has begun, the host or a guest requests a song for which they are providing the CD, we'll be happy to play it as long as the song is appropriate to the event.

Do you play songs with profanity? - I can play the radio edit versions of songs, which are normally the "cleanest" versions available (as opposed to the original albums). Despite having the cleaner versions of songs, many parents find particular songs inappropriate. When playing for groups with children, I will self-censor to a level I think is suitable for the children present. If you, as a sponsor or a parent, have a concern about a particular artist or song, just let me know and I'll omit the offensive material from the playlist for that event. I'll also cease playing music that appears to result in disorderly conduct or presents safety concerns (i.e. "mosh pit" activity that could injure the guests.)

The bottom line is that I'll work with you to play only what you feel is appropriate for your event.

Can I catch you in action? - Perhaps. I will not normally invite you to one of my planned, private events (i.e. wedding receptions and company events). Just as I'm sure that you wouldn't want me to invite strangers to your event, I make it a policy of not using my clients' events as a promotional demonstration for potential clients.

Occasionally I do perform in a public venue. When I have such an event planned, I'll be happy to let you know when and where so you can catch me in action.

Do you have a demo tape? - Head on over to my Media page for my latest uploads.  Also tune into my Live Mix Sessions.

Will we have fun? - Of course! Actually, I can't back that up.  Let's face it, no matter how entertaining things may be, some groups just aren't there to party. Any DJ that tells you EVERY party they've worked has been great is lying (or at least using the term "EVERY" loosely). All I can say is that I've never been told I performed poorly, and I've never been asked to refund any money. Although I have voluntarily returned partial payments on a couple of occasions where the party ran shorter than expected. I've also played at parties where I was requested into overtime because the clients were having so much fun.

What are the noise restrictions within the City of San Diego? - The City of San Diego requires that a police officer be dispatched anytime a complaint is lodged concerning a disturbance of the peace. It doesn't matter what time of day or what location. If you're planning a party in a residence, near the beach, or in a public park, please work in advance with your neighbors so that they won't have any issues. It generally works this way:

On the first complaint call, an officer will be dispatched. A warning notice will be issued, and you'll be told the nature of the complaint.

If a second complaint is received (from either the original complainant, or someone else), the police will again be dispatched. At that time they can shut down the event, they can fine the property owner (or lease holder) $500, and they can confiscate the equipment causing the disturbance.

Contrary to popular opinion, there are no time limits (i.e. you can't "party hearty" until 10:00 PM. and expect to get away with it). Complaints can be filed at any time, whether 7:00 PM or 2:00 AM. Also unlike automobile-based noise violations, there is no volume vs. distance criteria (i.e. 70 dB at 50 feet.) If someone complains, you have no recourse other than to reduce the volume (or perhaps invite them to the party!).

Be sure to inquire of any noise restrictions at hotels or other public venues you may engage me to play in. Some hotels are located near residential areas and may require the volume to be minimized after a certain hour. Please select your venue and plan your event hours accordingly.

Finally, the other cities within San Diego county may have varying laws, so check with your local municipality when planning your event.